So, the World cup kicks off today…. here’s some “well I never’s”
- The first live coverage of a soccer match shown on television, was in the year 1937. It was a practice match of Arsenal and was played at Highbury stadium
- During a match played in Paraguay between Sportivo Ameliano and General Caballero, a total of 20 red cards were shown.
- Norman Whiteside was the youngest player ever to play the game of soccer. He broke Pele’s record by playing at the age of 17 years and 47 days.
- Rotherham United goalkeeper Arthur Wharton, born in Ghana, was the first black professional player, in 1889.
- Liberian player, George Weah paid for the team’s uniforms and all the expenses, so that the team could play in the 1996 African Nations’ Cup.
- Nigerian born Chelsea player Celestine Babayaro, injured his leg while celebrating his debut goal in a preseason match, while Luigi Riva, Italian international player, broke an arm of a spectator due to his powerful shot.
- In the year 1978, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, was fired for swearing a lady during a match.
- Italian striker Giuseppe Meazza’s ‘playing shorts’ fell down when he was taking a penalty shot in a semifinal match in the 1938 World Cup.
- Michael Laudrup was a part of the Barcelona team when they won against Real Madrid 5 – 0. He was a part of the Real Madrid team when they won 5 – 0 against Barcelona as well.