The guidelines for a safe fireworks party are very simple to observe:
1. Follow the Fireworks Code.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light all fireworks at arms length
- Stand well back
- Never go back to a lit firework
- Never put fireworks in your pocket
- Never throw fireworks
- Keep Pets indoors [ click here ] for more on pets and fireworks
2. Use only BS 7114 Fireworks
- Check this when you are buying. All reputable dealers will only sell fireworks to this standard and if you are ever offered any others leave them alone!
3. Take special care with sparklers
- Sparklers can be beautiful and enjoyable for young children but adults must be aware of their potential. Sparklers are the cause of a disproportionate number of injuries but only a few simple precautions are necessary.
- Always supervise children with sparklers.
- Teach them to hold the sparkler at arms length, but not near anyone else
- Sparklers are not for the under 5s. They will be labeled as such and it is your responsibility.
- Have a container of water handy, big enough for the spent sparkler. Dump the sparkler in it as soon as it goes out.
4. Further advice, publications etc:
- Government information on fireworks and bonfire safety.
- Useful archived government page
- FireworkSafety website, for valuable advice.
- Safer Fireworks RoSPA’s site ‘to make sure your firework parties are fun’
- H&SE Guide to Safety for Firework Display Organisers
- Various fire brigades have advice on fireworks, bonfires and barbecues on the web: